Sunday, October 20, 2019

CHILD REARING: Entertainment at the Acme

Regular readers know I'm a Giant shopper as a rule, but I popped into the Avondale Acme on Sunday because it's closer and I needed to pick up just a few vegetables for our crockpot supper. It was busy, and I observed a few scenes that made me smile.
One mother was teaching her son to select peppers. She allowed him to choose any color, and he picked a bright orange one, carefully weighed it and put it in a plastic bag.
In the next aisle, a mother was patiently explaining to her daughter that the snack she wanted was exactly the same as the regular kind but was more expensive simply because there was a picture of a princess on the box. This did not dissuade the young girl from wanting the princess snacks anyway. The woman reminded me so much of my own dear mother, an excellent consumer who rarely fell prey to marketing gimmicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment