Sunday, October 20, 2019

KIDS' SONGS: The farmer or the dog?

Two kids' songs formed part of this week's soundtrack for me.
Friday morning, during an important board meeting, I received an urgent text from my brother: In the song B-I-N-G-O, is Bingo the name of the farmer or the dog? Apparently this debate was raging at his workplace, and he thought that I, as a copy editor, could provide some useful input.
I told him to get back to work.
We ran into him the next day, and he said the argument had quickly spread throughout the entire office and he and his coworkers spent most of the day researching how the song was depicted in YouTube videos and cartoons.
The conclusion was that Bingo is, in fact, the dog's name.
(For some guaranteed amusement, run the question by a friend or family member and just watch them start singing the song.)
Later in the week, Dearest Partner encountered a man making slushies at Wawa for himself and his wife. The guy's wife studied the icy, oddly colored mixture and opined that it resembled "greasy, grimy gopher guts." D.P. said the phrase took him back to his boyhood, but it was new to me. Echoing my brother and his colleagues, we looked it up. The gross lyrics, sung to the tune of "The Old Gray Mare," consist of a litany of similarly disgusting offal, with each verse ending in "But I forgot my spoon!" Pretty funny stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment