Wednesday, November 27, 2019

CHEATERS: Eroding social capital

After a neighborhood get-together, I was walking back to my car along with a woman who had a service dog, a handsome Bouvier des Flandres. I complimented her on how well-behaved the animal was, and she said that is because he's a "real," highly skilled and intensively trained service dog. She told me that there are unethical dog owners who buy "service animal" vests online just so they can get special privileges.
I stopped in my tracks."Are you kidding me?!" I said in amazement.
It's true, she said matter-of-factly. And then when the faux service dogs misbehave, the reputation of real service animals and the users who need them is tarnished.
Utterly disgusting. Like when greedy people start fake GoFundMe accounts, claiming some calamity has befallen them and seeking to cadge money from good-hearted strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment