Thursday, January 30, 2020

PREPPIES: First-world problems

In 1982 "preppies" were trendy. I had a desk diary that included information about the habits of Biff and Muffy, like a list of things that they supposedly worry about. One was "the alarm system." Another was "They'll stop making it (fitted picnic hampers, batiste pajamas, Abercrombie's brogues)."
I didn't understand the latter at the time, but now I certainly do. 
My favorite yogurt brand (Plenti) has disappeared off the face of the earth. My favorite fleece leggings aren't even available on eBay. The grocery store has stopped stocking the kale chips and mini-size, low-glycemic-index granola bars I love. LL Bean has redesigned, for the worse, the fleece jackets I live in all winter. 
Like the preppy diary warned, as soon as I start liking something, it seems they stop making it.
One friend was worried when I told him about this trend.
"For the love of God," he said, "don't start liking Bluecoat gin!"


No comments:

Post a Comment