Thursday, January 30, 2020

REAL ID: Deadline is in October

I'm now the proud owner of an upgraded Real ID driver's license complete with a gold star. Although the upgrade is optional, starting Oct. 1 you'll need to have a Real ID, a U.S. passport, or a military ID to board commercial flights and enter secure federal buildings.  
On Friday morning I drove up to the Lancaster driver's license center, which is in the East Town shopping center, 2090 Lincoln Highway, right where Routes 30 and 462 split. When I walked in, the receptionist greeted me, asked why I was there, and gave me the correct forms to fill out. He then handed me a numbered ticket, like at an old-fashioned deli.
I found a seat -- there were maybe 30 people waiting in the cavernous, mostly empty hall -- and filled out the forms. 
According to my ticket there were 18 people in front of me, so I settled in for some people watching.
To my surprise I was called within about 20 minutes. The clerk checked that I'd brought the correct identification documents and scanned them into the system, then sent me along to the counter to get my photograph taken by a cheerful young man. I barely had time to sit down before my finished document was ready.
The whole process was simple and the employees were all pleasant and efficient. 
On my way out I saw a man who looked familiar and asked if he was from Kennett Square.
"Used to be," he said. It turned out to be Ralph Burton, the former police chief of West Whiteland Township. He and his wife lived in Lenape for 43 years and their children went to the Unionville schools. Chief Burtons said they moved to Cochranville when he retired and they now live on a quiet road where there are more Amish buggies than cars.
If you have questions about the Real ID process, PennDOT has a useful website. Also, State Rep. Christina Sappey is holding an information session about Real ID on Thursday, Feb. 20, from 6 to 7 p.m. at the West Goshen Township Building at Paoli Pike and North Five Points Road in West Chester.  

No comments:

Post a Comment