Saturday, November 24, 2012

With gusto

I traveled to Phoenixville Friday night to see my friend Phil's band, Jimi's Not Home, perform at the Steel City Coffee House on Bridge Street. It was a terrific evening! The band sounded really good, and the reasonable volume allowed you to talk to your neighbor without screaming. It's a BYOB, so we walked across the street to the Franco Ristorante and bought a six-pack of Corona to go. (Talk about a welcoming town! We were just buying beer, but the restaurant employees held the door for us and gave us discount coupons for what they hoped would be our return visit.)
What I enjoyed most about watching the band was seeing my Phil, in a bright-red shirt, up there on stage, playing lead guitar, introducing songs and cracking corny jokes (his wife, sitting next to me, rolled her eyes). Here's a guy who has a very responsible, grown-up, serious job during the day. Yet there he was on stage, growling ZZ Top, Who and Rolling Stones lyrics. Gotta love it!
In the lot where we parked, across from the Phoenixville Foundry, we were rather surprised to see a towering, spotlit phoenix constructed from wooden planks. Apparently they torch the phoenix each year as part of the Phoenixville Firebird Festival, which this year is Saturday, Dec. 8. It looks very cool, and I'm told there are all manner of drummers, dancers and costumed revelers. Perhaps Kennett could make a similar bonfire part of the Mushroom Fest?
(By the way, sorry about all these Phoenixville evenings I've been writing about! I'll be closer to home, at the Kennett Flash, on Friday, Nov. 30, to see British New Wave rocker Wreckless Eric, a throwback to my college years. Can't wait!)

No comments:

Post a Comment