Sunday, November 18, 2012

Wolf's Hollow

Wolf's Hollow County Park could have been designed just for me: it's got amazing views, great hiking trails, lots of club moss and mountain laurel, and fascinating ruins of old stone structures -- all this only a few minutes north of Cochranville!
I had a great time on Saturday afternoon exploring the park's 569 acres. I printed out a helpful map of the seven miles of trails from the county's website and brought it along. A lot of the trails are level and easy, but be warned that there are some steep hills, especially along the Waterfalls Trail. (The waterfall was perhaps not at its best, but the little feeder pool just above it was very neat and unexpected.)
There are some stone ruins right along the Octoraro Creek and it's interesting to speculate about the hardy people who lived there. Right across the creek from the ruins is a very steep hill leading up to the Atglen Sportsmen's Club, whose members were discharging some serious ammo that afternoon.
Further along there are some amazing views from the Octoraro Ridge Trail, where I saw vultures circling at about eye level. I didn't realize there was such dramatic topography in our county; it reminded me more of South Mountain in central Pennsylvania.
You won't need any special shoes. I walked probably five miles wearing my usual sneakers and gym socks and was fine.
The parking lot was almost empty when I arrived but it was full when I returned. Out on the trails I saw only two other people, but near the ruins of Schoff Dam close to the parking lot there were dog-walkers, families and groups of young people enjoying the warm sunny day.

The park is off Schoff Road in West Fallowfield Township.


No comments:

Post a Comment