Thursday, June 26, 2014

The long way home

I took the longer way home from the Kennett Y today just because it was such a beautiful summer evening. The sun was setting over the peaceful West Marlborough landscape, highlighting in painterly fashion the curving rows of fragrant, just-raked hay (farmers making hay are the busiest people I know this time of year).
Ahead of me I saw a woman walking her dog and stopped just to share my appreciation for the all's-right-with-the-world evening.
She said she'd just been thinking exactly the same thing: She had walked her dog three times that day just to enjoy the view, which, she suggested, and quite correctly, is among the most beautiful on Earth.
We got to chatting; she moved to our township only a year ago and is still adjusting to the fact that it takes 20 minutes to get anywhere. But, she quickly added, that's a small price to pay. I think we could easily have stood by the road for an hour talking; only my hungry tummy put an end to the conversation.
I'm so glad I chose to take "the back way" home. The scenery alone is always enough to lift the spirits, but tonight I got the bonus of welcoming a new-ish neighbor and making a new friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment